Course Selection Information for New Students
Online Enrollment Process - On March 1, parents of admitted students receive an email with instructions for enrolling their student(s) at Bishop O'Connell for the 2018-2019 school year. The first step in the registration process is for parents to complete the enrollment contract, submit the deposit and complete the FACTS tuition agreement.
Online Course Selection - Within three days of completion of the enrollment process, students and parents will be able to begin selecting courses for the 2018-2019 school year through the PowerSchool system. Please look for an email from Bishop O'Connell with personalized codes for activating PowerSchool accounts.
If you did not receive an email to initiate this process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step-by-Step Course Selection
- ACTIVATE your PowerSchool account, using the codes provided in the registration email (click on instructions below):
- LOG IN to your PowerSchool account
- Look for CLASS REGISTRATION tab on the left side (see screen example below).
- Course offerings are ORGANIZED BY DEPARTMENT, showing the courses that you are eligible to select.
- Select courses for SEVEN (7) class periods.
- Selections are not saved in the system until you click the SUBMIT button.
- You may go back and REVISE selections until June 1.
- Counselors will REVIEW and confirm the course request.
- PARENTS will receive an email to verify selections.
Tips for Freshman Course Selection
- All freshmen are required to be scheduled for Religion, English, Social Studies and Math.
- The World Language requirement for graduation is two (2) years of the same language studied during grades 9 through 12. Three (3) years of the same language is recommended. Freshmen may begin a new language, continue a language begun in middle school or delay starting language until 10th grade.
- To create space in the schedule for Band, Chorus, Art 1 or Muller Academic Support, students may take Health/PE1 or Health 1 in the summer.
- A variety of options are available for completing the two-year Health/PE requirement, all options must include Health 1.
- Semester classes are valued at .5 credits. Students must select two (2) semester classes to fill a single class period.
- Scores on diocesan world language and algebra exemption exams will be used to confirm language and math placement.
A Few Reminders
- Need help in the process? Your counselor can assist in your selection of courses and in completing the online course selection.
- Be sure to click the SUBMIT button – Selections must be re-entered whenever you leave the page without submitting a set of requests.
- Need to change your requests? Until March 20, selections may be revised online as needed. After that, changes must be done by your counselor. Counselors are assigned according to the first letter of the student's last name:
Ms. Cynthia Germann
9th & 10th Grade Counselor (A-G)
Ms. Sarah Stuhlman
9th & 10th Grade Counselor (H-O)
Ms. Alicia Patak
9th & 10th Grade Counselor (P-Z)