The Christian Service program at Bishop O'Connell reflects the fundamental principles upon which the school was built. Our mission is to spread the Good News of the Gospel of Christ to brothers and sisters in our local and international communities. We integrate and practice the methods in accordance to Catholic social teaching to help students prepare for missions throughout the world. The Christian Service program is designed to meet the following objectives in Catholic education:
- To provide an opportunity of service in which the students can explore their own giftedness and ways in which they can share them with others
- To provide an opportunity of service in which the students will make choices about areas of deep human need with which they will become involved.
- To provide an opportunity of direct service in which the students can discover the joy that comes with responding to others in need and to plant a life-long commitment to service beyond high school.
- To provide an opportunity of service in which students are challenged to broaden the scope of their involvement.
- To provide an opportunity for reflection through writing and sharing with others. The students are encouraged to integrate their service experiences with their religious, academic, athletic, and spiritual formation.
As a capstone of their four-year service journey, seniors provide a thoughtful reflection via a video, oral or written presentation.
Mrs. Kathryn Hogan
Find out more...