Sep. 9, 1957
With the post-World War II expansion of Arlington County came the unequivocal need for a parochial high school to serve the needs of families in Northern Virginia. To care for this need and, at the same time, honor an outstanding educator and seventh Bishop of Richmond, the late Most Rev. Denis J. O'Connell, six parish priests purchased a twenty-acre tract of land in 1949, and subsequently devised a plan for a fund drive that culminated in a ground-breaking ceremony on March 27, 1956. Sixteen months later, the school building which included a classroom wing for boys, a classroom wing for girls, and a center wing which housed the administration offices and facilities shared by boys and girls was completed.
On September 9, 1957, Bishop Denis J. O'Connell High School opened its doors as a co-institutional college preparatory school, admitting 360 ninth-graders from the six founding parishes: St. James, St. Thomas More, St. Ann, St. Charles, St. Agnes and St. John. Greeting the class of 1961 were Brothers of Christian Schools and Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM), who would guide their education.
Since then, Bishop O'Connell has prepared over 17,000 young men and women to play significant roles in our competitive and richly diverse world. Today, the school continues to serve the original six parishes as well as students from more than 80 different schools and parishes throughout the Washington D.C. metropolitan area.
60 Hours of Service
In honor of Bishop O'Connell's 60th Anniversary, we invite the O'Connell family to pledge 60 hours of service to the community this year.
60 Years of Memories
As a part of our 60-year celebration, we are gathering memories, stories, photos and memorabilia from alumni across all the decades. Visit our memories page at the link below to see how you can help us tell the Bishop Denis J. O'Connell High School story.
Don't be left out! The deadline for submissions is Sep. 1, 2017.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.